Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pray for the souls in Purgatory


"I saw my Guardian Angel, who ordered me to follow him. In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls. They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid. The flames which were burning them did not touch me at all. My Guardian Angel did not leave me for an instant. I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was. They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God. I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in Purgatory. The souls called Her the Star of the Sea. She brings them refreshment. I wanted to talk with them some more, but my Guardian Angel beckoned me to leave. We went out of that prison of suffering. ( I heard an interior voice) which said, "My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it." Since that time, I am in closer communion with the suffering souls."

-- Divine Mercy in My Soul: The Diary of St Faustina Kowalska

2 comments:

Linda said...

The souls called Her the "Star of the Sea".

So cool! I never noticed this before. Do you know why we call her Star of the Sea?

God bless,
In Carmel
Linda

ocd sister said...

If you read 1 Kings 18:41-45 (in particular v 42) you see how a small cloud appeared above the sea as a sign of hope that the drought would cease. This small cloud that was seen from Mt Carmel is traditionally recognized as Our Lady. My understanding is that the first monastery of the Order was dedicated to Mary, Star of the Sea on Mount Carmel in the 13th century. The monastery was eventually destroyed due to religious wars, but the Order built a new Monastery in the 19th century on the slopes of Mt Carmel.

Also, St Bernard of Clairvaux wrote a beautiful homily in which he refers to Mary as the star. I have an excerpt scheduled for the 25th of this month.

That's all I know. :) Please pray for me. God bless!

ocdsister