Saturday, September 5, 2009

Meet your Guest with a whole heart undivided


"Christ, although He is the King of glory, whom myriads of angels attend in heaven, ardently desires, notwithstanding, to become the guest of your soul. Hence He says in the Apocalypse, Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man listens to my voice and opens the door to me, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me. Consider the greatness of the favor; reflect who you are, and who He is.

Consider what the gospel tells us: Make ready the way of the Lord, make straight his paths. You must prepare your heart to entertain so great a Guest. Your Guest is content even with what is mean, provided it be pure; hence He took flesh in the purest womb of the Virgin, was lain in a new sepulcher and was wrapped in a clean winding sheet. He is highly pleased with humility and is much offended with pride and self-conceit. If there is a valley of imperfection in your soul, you must fill it up, as is said in the gospel; if there is a hill of pride, you must level it. Meet your Guest, then, with acts of adoration and humility; and say from the bottom of your soul, Lord, I am not worthy that though shouldst come under my roof.

With what prompt kindness and hearty welcome the saints in the Scripture received their guests: Abraham, the three angels' the Sunamite woman, the prophet Eliseus; Martha, Christ Himself. Imitate their holy example, and present your whole heart undivided to your Guest. This is all that He requires. My son, He says, give me thy heart. He will not receive this heart if it is either divided by self-love, or a prey to inordinate affection or evil inclinations."

-- Eternal Thoughts from Christ the Teacher Vol II, by Richard Cardinal Cushing

No comments: