Thursday, June 17, 2010

How powerful before Thee is one sigh

"Alas, my God, if we only knew how great is our wretchedness! If we do not know it, there is danger in everything: therefore it is good for us to be made to do things which show us how abject we are. And I consider one day of humbling knowledge of ourselves which has cost much sorrow and pain to be greater boon from our Lord than many days of prayer: how much more when the true lover loves wherever he is, and always keeps his beloved in mind! It would be a poor thing if prayer could be carried on only in corners. I myself find that I cannot now spend many hours in it. But, O my Lord, how powerful before Thee is one sigh, sent forth from a spirit which is troubled because not only are we in exile, but have not even opportunities of being alone, that we might enjoy communion with Thee!"

-- Foundations by St Teresa of Avila

1 comment:

Karinann said...

Teresa of Avila is one of my favorite saints. She is so simple yet profound in her faith-"It would be a poor thing if prayer could be carried on only in corners." This was a lady who knew how to pray!
Thanks for sharing this.
God Bless!