Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My joy is the love of God

"As regards the source from which I draw my happiness, it is inexhaustible, for it is the very felicity of God. This perpetual praise which the Holy Trinity renders to Itself is for my soul like a celestial harmony whose ravishing melodies she perceives. I cannot tire of praising God, of uniting myself to the triumphant Sanctus of the angels, of entering into this Canticle of Glory which renders to Himself, His own happiness. Then my joy is the love of God. I know that He loves, that He is Love. He is always Love: and that also delights me, and all the forms of His love are subjects of joy for me.

What also charms me is His love for my soul: He is the Bridegroom and I am the bride, yes, that is what I am. Why? How? Oh, that too is a mystery of joy! But I know that He loves me, infinitely, with His holy divine love. I know that I was made only for Him, that I am going only to Him, that 'union' is 'our desires' or rather 'our desire.' And if I wish it, all in me will be only for Jesus, by Jesus, in Jesus, In Christo. He will take possession of me, He will annihilate me, and I will be lost, annihilated in Him - for all His merits are mine, and my vocation is to offer them to His Father. They fall back again on these poor souls in marvelous and incalculable graces, and that is done infallibly, provided the poor little instrument has this in mind and truly lives only for the glory of God.

And the more Jesus penetrates this small and unworthy instrument, the more He inflames it with His zeal, the more marvels are accomplished, and there are no more limits to its power than the power of God. It is impossible to comprehend all that a holy Carmelite can do! Her power has no measure. A sight, a word on her part, suffices to bring down torrents of graces from heaven upon souls. And if it must be known where this marvelous power comes from, I find no other reply than the will of God. It is because He willed it that He has thus made us rich, powerful, and privileged. Oh, blessed are the chosen ones! And how could these be sad?"

-- Flame of Joy: Souvenirs, Authobiography, Letters of Marie-Angélique of Jesus of the Carmel of Pontoise

4 comments:

Mary N. said...

I have to get this book! How beautiful. Though I have not heard of Marie-Angelique of Jesus, these passages really touched me.

Anonymous said...

I also want to get this book, however, I am unable to find it here in florida, does anyone know how we can get it, or where. Amazon.com no longer has it.

ocd sister said...

Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me right now. But you may want to check the Carmelites in Oregon. They did a great service to the Order by translating many works into English. Alternatively, you may want to contact the Carmelites in Pontoise, where Mother Marie-Angélique lived. I know they have books in French, but they might still have copies in English, or be able to tell you where/how to get it. If I remember correctly, there's at least one sister there than can understand some English. Let me know if you would prefer that I contact them. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Sister,
Yes, I tried calling the Oregon group but did not get anyone to answer, nor did i see a website or email to send to them. I also did not see anything for the French nuns on the web to get in touch with. I am a third order carmelite and we just finished a book which reference Mother Marie-Angélique and this book. So, I am very anxious to read it and about her. my email address is zbears@bellsouth.net. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God BLess.